- Health & Lifestyle Advice
- Height, Weight & Body Mass Index (BMI)
- Abdominal Girth Assessment
- Family History Discussion
- Exercise, Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Standard Vision Assessment
- Blood Pressure & Pulse checking
- 24 Hour Blood Pressure Monitor (If Indicated)
- Electrocardiogram (ECG) of Heart
- Lung Function Testing (Spirometry)
- Females: Cervical smear if indicated & Breast Examination
- Full Blood Count, Kidney Function, Liver Function, Lipid Profile, Diabetic Screening (Fasting Glucose / HbA1c), Bone Profile, Thyroid Function, Vitamin B12, Folic Acid,
- Serum Iron, Gout check (uric acid), Coeliac screening (if indicated), Prostate check (PSA- males)
- Full follow-up physical examination, discussion, interpretation & assessment of results with Doctor
- Onward referrals to consultants as indicated
- Organising further investigations if indicated
The Faythe Medical Centre oﬀers a conﬁdential Sexual Health Screening Service. This services aims to detect Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs).
What is an STI?
An STI is a sexually transmitted infection that can be passed on during sexual contact. Some STIs have no symptoms, so you may not be aware if you or your partner is infected. Therefore, if you are sexually active or have recently changed partner, it is very important to have regular check-ups. Some STIs can cause long-term problems if they are not treated, such as infertility, complications in pregnancy and pelvic inﬂammatory disease.
What it involves:
You will need to make an appointment for this service. Allow approximately twenty minutes for your appointment. On arrival, the receptionist will give you a questionnaire to ﬁll out and will also ask you to provide a urine sample. Once the doctor/nurse has reviewed your questionnaire, they will perform the necessary blood tests and swabs. The results of your screening will be available within two weeks and you can contact the surgery to receive these results.
The cost of the screening is €60 (discounts will be given to couples). There may be additional charges if follow up appointments are required.
SEXUAL TRANSMITTED INFECTIONS TESTED
Bacterial Vaginosis – this is a condition caused by the overgrowth of normal vaginal bacteria, there are no symptoms in most cases.
Chlamydia – this is a bacterial infection that can be passed between sexual partners and can have no symptoms.
Genital Warts – these are small ﬂeshy growths, bumps or skin changes that appear on or around the genital or anal area. Genital warts are the result of a viral skin infection that is caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV).
Genital Herpes – this is caused by herpes simplex type two (HSV-2). HSV-1 usually causes cold sores or lesions in the mouth or on the lips and face. Genital herpes is a sexually transmitted disease that produces painful blisters on the genitals of both men and women.
Gonorrhoea – this is a bacterial infection. Symptoms include a vaginal discharge in women and a discharge from the penis in men.
Hepatitis B & C – these primarily attack the liver. Hepatitis B vaccines are avail-able from the surgery.
HIV – this is virus caused by the Human Immunodeﬁciency Virus and there are usually no obvious symptoms in the early years.
Syphilis – If it is not treated, it can spread in the bloodstream from the genital region to cause various symptoms and problems over many years.
Trichomonas Vaginalis – this is a parasitic infection that may cause problems in pregnancy and low birth weight.
GENITAL INFECTIONS TESTED
Molluscum Contagiosum – is a common skin rash that is caused by a germ (virus). It is passed on by skin-to-skin contact.
Thrush – also known as Candida, this is a yeast infection that is not considered a sexually transmitted infection, but it can be passed on through sexual contact.